Monday, November 23, 2009

Organization Challenge Week 2

Calendar

How did last week's challenge go for everyone? Did you do everything on the list? I struggled the most with getting to bed on time. Last week was very busy for us and by the weekend I was completely exhausted. I'm going to continue to work on it this week and it should be easier because we have several days off from work and school and my mom is hosting our Thanksgiving Dinner. All I have to do is bake a few pies, which I love to do anyway.

This week's challenge is to Organize Your Schedule. As the author of Organize Now (my inspiration for this series) says:
Each day we are given the gift of time. By choosing to spend it wisely and efficiently, you will reduce stress, spend more time on the things you want to do, feel more fulfilled at the end of the day and enjoy a more balanced life."



This week's goals are:

Buy a daily planner to use for both work/school/volunteer activities and personal activities. This is the perfect time of year to find one almost anywhere. I have found that a purse size works best for me. Of course, you can always use an online calendar/organizer like Cozi or Springpad, just make sure that your computer is easily accessible throughout the day if you choose this option.

Sit down with your family and plan the next month. Plan meals, divide errands, schedule Christmas activities, write down when your library books are due, etc. By the way, you'll find great menu planning help here if you need a refresher.

Gather your to do lists and create a master list for your planner. Divide the list into daily, weekly, and future tasks. Be realistic about what you can accomplish in a day and break larger tasks down into smaller goals.

Go ahead and schedule next year's dentist and doctor appointments (vet appointments too if you have a pet). Early morning or first thing after lunch are the best times to get. You're less likely to be delayed. I try to get us all in on one day if possible. Might as well spend one whole morning in the dentists office and get it over with instead of one at a time over the course of weeks.

Be sure and leave room for "downtime". You need it and so do your children.

5 comments:

The Farmer's Attic said...

Well! Last week was the worse time for me to start the challenge. I took the week off from work and spent everyday at my church cooking for 120 people! I made everything from the morning refreshments (muffins, breads, fruit centerpiece, etc.), to the luncheon which included 12 loaves of homemade Italian bread, three different soups (Velvet Tomato Soup, Baked Potato Soup & Italian meatball soup), with the finish of 11 different cakes.

Crawled into bed each night exhausted and in pain but loving every second of it. Only had a few hours sleep each night and back to the church (one morning at 3 am and didn't leave until 5:30 pm). I'm not complaining mind you - I love it!!!

But like I said, not such a good week to start this challenge. Need to even go back and reread and begin working on week 1.

It is time though for me to begin reevaluating my life and all that I have my hands in. Planning that 2010 be the year that I slow down and not let my calendar fill up without even knowing how it happened. The scheduling of my life for challenge 2 is certainly one I need to seriously consider.

Lucy
www.farmersattic.com
www.farmersattic.blogspot.com

50s Housewife said...

Good heavens Lucy! I don't know how you managed such a week (sounds delicious though). I think I would be completely flattened!

ChaChaneen said...

I didn't do one stinking thing different! ha ha That is because I didn't take the challenge but I HAD to come over and see how you were doing and encourage you my sweet friend! And also wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

So what kind of pies are you making? We are having Blackberry with Apples & Sour Cream and the other pie will be traditional Apple. Mmmm

50s Housewife said...

ChaChaneen, thank you for stopping by! Your pies sound wonderful! I love pies! :) I'm making pumpkin (hubby's favorite) and traditional Southern pecan (my favorite). The kids love both, so they'll be happy.

Retro Girl said...

Love your planning organizing heart! lol. You sound like me---OCPD...it certainly makes things runs more smoothly though. Love your blog...bookmarking for sure!