Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Crock Pot Lasagna

Tonight's supper was lasagna that I made in the slow cooker. It was the first time for me to make this particular recipe. It was really easy and tasted good. I have to admit it's not quite as good as The Pioneer Woman's best lasagna ever, but much easier because it can simmer all day while you're busy. :)

This recipe came from one of my favorite cookbooks from Gooseberry Patch, Harvest Kitchen.

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 t. Italian seasoning
8 lasagna noodles, uncooked and broken into thirds
28 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1/3 c. water
Optional: 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
15 oz. container ricotta cheese
8 oz. pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese

Combine ground beef and Italian seasoning. Arrange half the lasagna noodles in a greased slow cooker. Spread half the ground beef mixture over noodles. top with half each of remaining ingredients. Repeat layering process. Cover and cook for 5 hours on low setting. Serves 10 (well, in my house it serves 6).

Notice the handle (or lack thereof) on the lid of my crock pot. It's been that way for years, but since the crock pot works just fine I limp along without a handle.


Make an easy meal by adding some garlic bread and a salad.

8 comments:

Karen said...

This looks great! I'm going to give it a try soon! Thanks for sharing it.

Karen

Marytoo said...

This sounds really great. I have a recipe for crockpot "pizza" which is sorta similar. It's pizza flavored with the toppings of pizza, but noodles instead of a crust. I'm going to try this one!

About that handle-less lid of yours... I once broke my crockpot lid, but found that one of my Corel plates fit exactly, so I used that as a lid until I found another one at a yard sale.

Anonymous said...

Man, that looks like regular lasagna! I want to try that!
RetroHousewife

Little Missy Homemaker said...

Oh, it looks sooooo good! I am low carbing right now, I'm trying to get these 10-15 pounds off, they have been hanging around since my last child was born (she's 3 now). I'm on day 3 and so far I feel really great except that I want some pasta, this recipe is especially tempting to me! But I will remain strong, hopefully :)

Nicole said...

Hey, slow down! you're sharing too man good ideas at once, I can't get to them in orderly fashion. ;) Seriously, as i said before i am usually scared of my crockpot, so i am loving these suggestions. i will try this for sure.

Blessings!

50s Housewife said...

Marytoo, I would love to have your recipe.

Missy homemaker, hope I didn't tempt to you TOO much! :)

Armchair Housewife, don't be scared of your crockpot! :) It's one of my best friends in the kitchen.

Kathy said...

I am going to try this recipe this weekend. During the Thanksgiving holidays I try not to go grocery shopping much at all. I was going to use cottage cheese as a low fat replacement, have you tried that before?

I plan on doing my shopping tomorrow, then I will be done for the weekend. Except for cooking it!

Kathy said...

This is wonderful even with cottage cheese and no ricotta.