Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Buttermilk Bread

If you've been reading here for long, you know that I love to make bread! There is just something so satisfying about it. The smell of fresh bread makes the whole atmosphere in my house cozy and welcoming. Mike even commented the other day that he lives in a bakery! :)

This bread is one of my favorites. The wheat germ gives it extra nutrition and the honey makes it a beautiful color.

2 Tablespoons dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
3 cups warm 1% buttermilk (it will look curdled when it's warm)
3/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted and cooled
1/4 cup honey
3 teaspoons salt
1/2teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
9 to 10 cups all purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid), dissolve yeast in warm water. Add buttermilk, butter, honey, salt, baking soda, wheat germ and 4 cups flour; mix well. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. turn onto a floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a 12 inch rope. Braid three ropes; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Place in a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough.

Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan onto wire racks. Makes 3 loaves.



14 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've never seen a braided loaf in an actual loaf pan - that's so neat! You keep the traditional loaf shape, but the pretty braided look. That's great.

Nicole said...

How do you spell the sound you make when you're drooling?

Once upon a time I started learning to make bread, but my hubby and I are major carb addicts. How do you make bread so often and not weigh 300 lbs?

I might just have to make this, though, it looks amazing. I've actually just started a complimentary page to my blog for recipes, and I'd love it if you'd stop by some time and leave comments and help me be a better cook... I'm sure you have great tips.

Also, you take great pictures of your food, they always look professional.

Blessings,

Nicole

Karen said...

mmmmmmm...can't wait to try this! I made the recipe you posted for crockpot lasagna last week. It was fantastic. Thanks!
Karen

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

I'm new to your blog and I've really enjoyed my time here. This bread sounds so good! I have decided recently to try and bake all our breads instead of buying them. I'll have to try this recipe, thanks!

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! I wrote it down on my recipe cards. I will be trying this one!

Anonymous said...

I can almost smell that wonderful bread...ooooh, it's making me so hungry!! :)

Dianne said...

That is a very pretty picture and I also like to make bread so will be trying this one.

{oc cottage} said...

That is just gorgeous!!!!!!

M ^..^

Terri said...

That is wonderful looking bread. The braid makes it look festive!

meg said...

Oh, my~ that is beautiful bread & I can smell it all the way over here :-)

50s Housewife said...

Armchair housewife, your comment made me laugh. I was talking to retrohousewife on the phone when I read it she jokingly said "well how does she know you don't weigh 300 pounds?" LOL I don't, although I admit I could stand to lose a few!

I bake a lot, but my hungry family eats most of it or I give it away. I sent a loaf of the buttermilk bread home with my mom today. I only eat maybe one slice out of a loaf. I also try to walk or exercise five days a week.

Anonymous said...

I made this bread last night - I let it bake a bit too long because I had too many other irons in the fire, but the family LOVES it. They ate half a loaf this morning (and I snuck some whole wheat flour into it!).
I love how fancy it looks - DH was VERY impressed!
Love your blog!

50s Housewife said...

I'm glad it turned out well Emily. Thank you for stopping by! :)

Lynn said...

I made your bread before Christmas and it was yummy! Some of the leftovers went into the make-ahead sausage/cheese casserole we had on Christmas morning. So we enjoyed your bread twice! Now I want to go back and check out all your favorite posts of 2008. What a great idea ;)