Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Best Pumpkin Bread Ever


I usually make pumpkin bread several times between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but today is the first time I've made it in quite a while. Now I remember the reason...it's SO good I can't keep my hands off it! It really is the best pumpkin bread you will ever put in your mouth.

The recipe comes from my best friend (who comments here as retrohousewife). She is a GREAT home style cook and many of my best recipes come from her.


Best Pumpkin Bread Ever
1 can pumpkin
2 sticks butter, softened
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves

I just put all the ingredients in my electric mixer and mix until thoroughly blended (so easy). Pour into greased and floured loaf pans or muffin tins. It makes 2 large loaves, or 24 muffins. Bake muffins for 20 to 30 minutes and loaves for 45 minutes to an hour at 350 degrees.

Years ago (I think I was pregnant with Cindy at the time) I was making this while talking to retrohousewife on the phone. I made sure to set out all the spices so that I didn't forget one. I didn't want to mess up the recipe because I was on the phone. Well, guess what? After I pulled what should have been muffins out of the oven I realized I forgot a crucial ingredient. One of the spices you ask? No...the FLOUR!! I realized that I can NOT follow a recipe and talk on the phone at the same time. Too much for my little brain to handle. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny! I just made the best chicken fried steak you could ever put in your mouth for lunch! We are great cooks! :-) I have only made the pumpkin bread once this season, but need to do it again. It is best served warm with butter. YUM!
RetroHousewife

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering what size of can of pumpkin to use? Thank you,
Susan, Mama of 8

Anonymous said...

It is my recipe that Suzie uses and it's a regular 15 oz. can. Do not overcook the bread. It's better when it's *just done and not overdone. :-)
Retro

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much!
Susan

~~Deby said...

I could not make this right now as I am TRYING for this to be the year that I finally get my weight off...so one week into it..I am doing great....maybe with the flour left out ..it would be the diet version...
Deby