Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Random Vacation Thoughts

Fair warning: this is going to be one of the rambling, non-cohesive type posts.

  • Despite leaving "clothes" off my packing list I did actually take some with me and didn't have to spend my vacation in nothing but a swimsuit and PJs. My most versatile and favorite piece of packable vacation clothing is my foldover jersey skirt. I have the dark heather gray color which is so versatile. It goes with everything, doesn't wrinkle, is light weight and cool, and the foldover waist makes the length of the skirt adjustable. I'm hoping to get a few more in different colors.

  • I haven't had a swimsuit I actually like in years and years.  Of course that's probably because I usually just buy whatever keeps me covered and is cheap.  This year I decided to buy a "real" swimsuit so I bought the hidden assets one piece at Target.  The only problem is I bought it without trying it on (shame, shame...I know,) and I should have sized up.  It is very slimming and cute, but it's a bug bear to get on, and once it's wet, there's no taking it off and putting it back on.  That sort of creates a problem if one needs to make use of the restroom facilities.  So instead, I wound up wearing my board shorts and halter tankini top which provided no support (should have sized down. Again, I bought without trying on.  Must be a phobia.) but was at least easy to get back on when wet.




  • My hair did not look cute in the humidity, so I tried to stay out of all the pictures.  Unfortunately my plan didn't work, and I'll always have reminders of the strange ways my bangs can curl up.
  • Ditto on the makeup in the humidity.  My skin tends toward the oily side, so my makeup just slid right off my face.  I finally gave up and wore Dr. Feelgood balm over my sunscreen with the addition of a little lip gloss and a swipe of mascara (I normally wear it under my foundation as a primer and it does help if the humidity is not 110%).  It didn't cover up the flaws in my skin like foundation does (at least somewhat), but that's better than looking like I was melting, right?
  • I came home sick (airplane germs?), but I've been cleaning and de-cluttering nonstop since I got back.  There's something about seeing your home with "fresh" eyes to make you notice things that need to be done.
  • I checked out In the Company of Others: A Father Tim Novel to take with me on the plane but then chickened out, because what if I lost it or got it wet or got sand in it and the library police came knocking on my door? WHAT IF? So I took my kindle instead because it actually belongs to me and only my husband and I would freak out if it were lost or destroyed (much better than freaked out librarians).  I've been reading it since I got back though, and I'm loving it so far.  I knew I would.
  • I LOVE looking at churches in towns and cities that I visit.  I'm always so tempted to ask if I can go in and look around.  I saw so many pretty, traditional, older churches of all sizes.  I'm a sucker for a steeple.  :)