Thursday, November 11, 2010

Christmas is Right Around the Corner


We've had a bit of a cold front come through so now I'm ready for Christmas! Not ready as in presents bought, cards ordered, baking done, just ready meaning in the mood for Christmas music, lights, and movies.

You know, usually at this point in the year I am freaking out a little about Christmas. How will I get everything done? What picture(s) am I going to put on the cards? How will I get all the house cleaning and baking done? But this afternoon as I was listening to Christmas Time is Here, I decided that I'm just not going to do it this year (y'all may have to hold me to that). I'm volunteering in the church office every week and working part time...I have a lot on my plate.

I'm going to decorate as much as I want to (I love to decorate) and I'm not going to worry about everything looking perfect. So what if the tree is crooked and one of the strands of lights go out?  I'm going to sit in front of the fire and watch movies with the family if I feel like it instead of making supper from scratch.  It won't hurt anybody if we have sandwiches or even frozen pizza every now and then.  I'm going to bake when I feel like baking, but I'm not going to pressure myself if I don't feel like it.  No one ever collapsed from disappointment when eating a store bought pie instead of homemade.  If I feel like putting on my flannel PJs and fuzzy socks at 4:00 in the afternoon I'm going to do it and not apologize if someone comes to the door.  I'm not going to freak out if I don't get the baseboards dusted, there are cobwebs on the ceiling and a pile of laundry undone.  I'll just light some candles, turn down the lights, shut the laundry room door and say "come on in".  If I don't get the Christmas cards sent out on time, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm sure no one will "unfriend" us over it.

I'm just going to relax and enjoy my family, our traditions and the real reason for the season.