Monday, August 9, 2010

Vintage Shopping

I love to find retro bargains! My favorite vintage items are aprons.  I especially love the ones that are a little faded and threadbare because I know that they have a history. I feel like I go back in time a little when I put one on. Suddenly I'm wearing a smart pair of capri pants, a polka dot blouse, and a chiffon scarf while listening to Buddy Holly (or maybe even The Guiding Light) on my radio, getting a casserole ready for the oven and a congealed salad in the fridge.

I love all sorts of vintage things that have been passed down a generation or two.  It's especially nice to have something that your own mother or grandmother used, but finding retro goodies at garage sales, flea markets and thrift stores is great too.  You may have to sift through lots of junk, but the thrill of finding something fantastic at a bargain price makes it all worthwhile.

From vintage books, to vintage glassware, I love it all!  Maybe I'm impossibly romantic, but  I like to imagine the story behind it.  I wonder who rolled out biscuits for her family with the rolling pin I bought at a garage sale.  How did it get the little burn mark on it?  Did she roll out pie crusts too?  What about the original owner of the pretty dishes I found at the thrift store?  Did she save them for special occasions or use them every day?

I thought I would share with you a few of my favorite "gently used" finds.

Milk glass that is currently on my summer all-white mantel. Some belonged to my grandmother and some I bought.
A pewter candlestick.  It doesn't have any markings on it so I have no idea how old it is, but I love the classic Americana look of it.  I've had it for years, but I think I only paid a dollar or two for it.
A darling toile pillow I found for $2!  Totally worth it!
An inherited ruby glass bowl on a hand embroidered garage sale find tablecloth.



Do you like to shop at garage sales and thrift stores?  What are some of your favorite finds?