Friday, August 20, 2010

Cake for Breakfast!

Every time I make coffee cake I am reminded of the time I made it when Marcia was a little tiny thing.  She had reached that stage of questioning everything (OK she still does that).  She wanted to know what we were having for breakfast.  When I told her we were having coffee cake she was at first unbelieving that I was really going to let her eat cake for breakfast (even if it didn't have any frosting), and then decided she wasn't going to eat it because it must have coffee in it.  I explained to her that it was named coffee cake because it went well with coffee, not because it had coffee in it.  I have no idea if that's actually how coffee cake got its name, but it sounded right so I went with it.  She finally decided that it smelled good enough to taste and proceeded to eat every last crumb on her plate.  I can't believe I had to convince my child to try cake!

This cinnamon coffee cake is a quick and easy weekday breakfast or afternoon treat. I made it this morning and it was gone before I knew it. It's an easily customized recipe too. You can add nuts, fruit, even chocolate chips.

Happy baking!