Monday, January 5, 2009

Curried Split Pea Soup and Naan

I am loving my new crock pot, so here is another recipe for you. :) It's healthy and yummy (great combination).

Rinse a 16 oz. package of dry split peas.


Add split peas, 1 pound sliced mushrooms (I used baby portabellas), and a bay leaf to slow cooker.

Peel 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes, and add to slow cooker.

Slice 3 green onions (and of course add them to the slow cooker as well).

Add:
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 - 3 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (less if you like things mild - this was fine for my kids, but they like spicy)
salt and pepper to taste

Pour 4 cups chicken broth over all (you can use vegetable broth is you want to keep it vegetarian).

Add 2 cups water and stir

Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Sprinkle with snipped fresh basil if desired.

I made naan for the first time to go with it (using this recipe). I didn't have a grill, so I used my cast iron skillet like when I make tortillas. Didn't look all that great, but tasted really good! :)

I made a pdf of this recipe thinking that would be so much more helpful for you to just download and print. Only problem is I don't know how to post it! Any ideas?

8 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I think your Naan looks just like the stuff I buy at the grocers...pretty darn good for a 1st try.
I made an Indian dish myself this morning...something out of Womans Day Feb. 1, 09... Curried Yellow Split Peas...sounded so good I whipped it up and had a huge bowl for breakfast! The Naan would have been a great addition.

Mother Hood said...

This looks SO good. Minus the shrooms for me! I never thought of doing Indian food in a crock! Great idea! THANKS!

Terri said...

The naan looks just like the stuff I've seen sold in the store! It looks great and definitely one I want to try.

Marytoo said...

This looks really, really interesting! But... it looks like a lot. Now that there are just two of us I am trying to find small recipes, or recipes that are easily scaled down. I'm amazed how hard they are to come by. It's a whole new world of cooking. ;-/

Mrs. U said...

I am DEFINITELY going to try this soup! WE LOOOOOOOOOVE anything Asian/Indian and when you mentioned coconut milk, well, I just about melted here!!! Anything with coconut milk and curry powder has my family's attention!!

And that is the SAME Naan bread that I make, too (I LOVE allrecipes.com!!)! It is easy and TO DIE FOR delicious!! YUM!!

His,
Mrs. U

Angela said...

Great Photograps- and wonderful looking food too.
Marytoo - I find myself doing lots of stuff for 4, and freezing half. I agree with you that many recipes do not scale down well. The other idea is doubling-recipes-for-one. Delia Smith wrote "One is Fun" and that has lots og good 'single portion' ideas.

50s Housewife said...

Thank you ladies! I'm glad you think the naan looks like the "real thing"! I sure tasted good! :)

Leila said...

I'm strangely interested in the curried pea soup idea! I have some pea soup in the freezer that was leftover from a batch that just didn't come out thick enough for me...so I could spruce it up this way!

I know that google documents won't support a PDF file, but did you try Scripd? It's another document-hosting site...

You upload your file and then post the URL they give you.