Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Why I Love Summer!

Summer Front Porch by Janet Kruskamp
Summer Front Porch

The weather has been just gorgeous today and it really makes me look forward to summer. Why do I love summer?

1) I love that the days are getting longer. It's so much easier to get up early when you aren't getting up in the dark and the kids love to stay outside and play until bedtime. Sometimes we even eat supper outside.

2) Drying the clothes on the line. I like to dry my clothes on the line when the weather is nice, but it's been a necessity the last few weeks. My dryer quit working. I was thrilled though when we got our latest electric bill. It was about $30 less than last month!

3) Flip-flops: Yes, I admit it, I love flip-flops. I wear them all summer long. Some are fancy with sparkles and a slight heel, some are the plain rubber kind, some have beads. I love them all.

4) No school. I so enjoy having the kids home and being able to spend lazy days with them.

5) Working in the yard. Our grass is green and the yard looks so pretty. I love looking outside every morning to see what's blooming and growing.

6) Summer produce. I could live on fruits and vegetables in the summer. Being a Southern girl, one of my most favorite summertime meals is black-eyed peas and cornbread, with some fresh sliced tomatoes and onions. Of course it has to include a watermelon and homemade ice cream too! Oh and maybe some fried okra...I'm making myself hungry! :)

7) Lying on a blanket in the park on the 4th of July and watching the fireworks.

8) Taking a cool shower in the evening after swimming and playing outside all day.

9) Sitting on the porch with a big ol' glass of sun tea, visiting with friends and neighbors while the ice cream maker churns away.

10) Swinging in the shade of the willow tree in the front yard while reading a book.

Well, I could go on and on, but I'll stop with 10. What do you like best about summertime?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post...all of those things sound so nice, I'm so glad the nice weather is here. I love going camping and swimming in summer and working in my flowers. Taking family bike rides or walks with the dogs. My oldest started kindergarten this year, so I'm so looking forward to the end of school and having her back home all day!

Pam said...

The smell of jasmine wafting in the bedroom window late at night...opening the patio shades each morning and seeing the pink dogwood in full bloom...leaving the patio door open so the cat can come and go at will...sitting on the deck late at night and watching the stars while holding my hubby's hand...hummingbirds visiting the feeders throughout the yard...strawberry lemonade. Yes, my list can goes on and on!!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

Tracy said...

Ooohhhh...now I'm yearning for sultry summer days. I love the mornings, when the windows are open and the house smells so good! The smell of tanned skin, sunlight dancing on the pool water, dinners on the deck, and fresh flowers on the table.

Primrose Hill said...

I just want you to know that I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog. It is one of my very favorites. Thank you and keep up the great work!

~~Deby said...

I love the long days...because we are so far north we have VERY long days....it is wonderful.
I don't like weather over 75 so I hibernate in air conditioning IF it is HOT....but I sure love bbq'ing...
Deby

Anonymous said...

1. Sleeping late.
2. homemade ice cream
3. floating around the pool on a noodle and visiting with friends.
4. garage sales!!!!
5. water skiing/tubing trips
6. fishing and all lake activities
7. church camp
8. taking the kids to concerts and Six flags
9. local WWE events
10. fresh fruits and veggies (black eyed peas, squash, okra, watermelon, cantelope, corn)
11. visiting 50sHousewife at her house and her coming to visit me!
RetroHousewife

Anonymous said...

UGH! I can't believe I forgot Bluegrass festivals!
12. Playing my banjo at area bluegrass festivals.
RetroHousewife

Anonymous said...

I had leftover fried okra for breakfast! I didn't want to cook and there was a bowl of leftover mac and cheese and fried okra so I just warmed that up this morning. Doesn't that sound great with coffee? LOL I didn't mind it.
RetroHousewife

Elsie said...

Oh, this post makes me miss the south soo much!! I used to live in Tennessee. All those things make me want to hop on the next train or plane or bus back!