Monday, March 3, 2008

Hillbilly Housewife Menu

This week, I am following the Hillbilly Housewife's $70 low cost menu. This menu is so easy because she provides all the recipes, plus the shopping list. Her $70 figure is assuming that you are starting with an empty pantry, so it may cost you less, but she is also using powdered milk which is not as cheap as it was when she made this plan. I spent about $65. Some things I already had in my pantry, but I bought 3 gallons of regular milk instead of powdered. I do have some powdered milk in the pantry that I bought when it was much cheaper and I can supplement with it if I need to. My family will not drink reconstituted powdered milk unless it is mixed with regular milk.

The menu starts on Sunday. Yesterday's Sunday dinner was meatloaf, green beans and mashed potatoes. The menu calls for muffins to go with it, but I made sugar cookies instead.


Last night I put beans on to soak for tonight's Boston Baked Beans (which are now in the crock pot) and Marcia helped me make up the week's bread. I did the overnight method that uses very little yeast. You let the bread rise overnight.


4 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm anxious to hear what you think of the menu as the week progresses.

Anonymous said...

This looks nice! I'll be watching to see how your family likes everything!

Kimi said...

What a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing the link...I will check it out :)

50s Housewife said...

We've tried almost all of these recipes in the past and really enjoyed them. This will be the first time that I have followed her menu exactly all week. It's been fun so far!

Sometimes it's nice to let someone else do all the planning. :)