Monday, August 4, 2008

Homestead Biscuits

Biscuits are a staple around here. I make them a lot. Nearly every weekend I'll make Mike's favorite breakfast of biscuits, gravy, bacon and eggs. I also make biscuits with supper sometimes. They are great with fried chicken or chicken fried steak. Have you ever had biscuits and chocolate gravy? That's a good breakfast too. This is one of my favorite biscuit recipes. It's just as easy as the kind you make from a mix.

Homestead Biscuits
2 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons shortening
1 cup milk

First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees, then measure your flour into a bowl.
Photobucket
Add your shortening.
Photobucket
I use one of these nifty little gadgets to cut in the shortening, but you can also use a fork or two knives.
Photobucket
Add your milk and stir just until a slightly sticky dough forms.
Photobucket
Knead lightly on a floured surface. I just fold it over and pat it a few times. It's a good idea to remove your rings when you do this. I always forget and have to take them off later and scrub them with an old toothbrush to get the dough out.
Photobucket
Roll to about a half inch thickness. This is such a cute rolling pin with red handles. I bought it at an estate sale. An elderly lady took my payment and told me that she hoped I would roll out many biscuits for my family with it. I have, and I think about her every time I use it.
Photobucket
Cut dough and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
Photobucket
You can also put them all in your cast iron skillet if it isn't already in use frying bacon. :) Bake at 450 for 10 to 12 minutes. Mike likes them just lightly brown.
Photobucket
Enjoy!

11 comments:

The Vintage Housewife... said...

yuuuuummmyyyyy! hello kitten i love a good ol country breakfast and your looks so gooooood! high school football...wooowee i love it...my lil one is a junior so only 2 more years of it! thanks for swingin' by cat

Anonymous said...

yum! We call those 'scones' over here and we call cookies 'biscuits'!

love, Tina :)

Momala said...

I'm going to have to try this recipe. I've been searching for a great homemade biscuit recipe and these look yummy!

Mindy

Barb J. said...

That's so funny. Hubby was just asking last night why I made all this stuff from scratch now but hadn't attempted to make homemade biscuits (he likes them with dinner). I told him I hadn't found an easy recipe.

Then I read your blog this morning to find an easy recipe tutorial complete with pictures. Guess I'm out of excuses!

Tracy said...

Yum!!! Do you have a recipe for the chocolate gravy?

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm gonna try this recipe this weekend, sounds delicious!

Terri said...

Yum, love homemade biscuits!

50s Housewife said...

I'll post the chocolate gravy recipe soon.

Sibyl said...

I used to have Chocolate gravy at my aunts house haven't had it for over 30 years, would love to make some for my kiddos recipe please.

Sibyl

Sharon said...

I have just noticed that this post is from 2008 so I hope it reaches you. I am writing from Australia so please excuse my ignorance of some American ingredients although I now know what Bisquick is and where I can get it in Melbourne Australia. What you call biscuits we call scones but I have never had them with gravy. Is it the chocolate gravy you mention or a gravy such as I might make for roast beef or lamb?

I have recipes given to me by friends and relatives and whenever I cook one of their recipes I say a quick prayer for them.

50s Housewife said...

Sharon, the gravy I mentioned in this post is a white gravy. I often make it with the grease from cooking the bacon or sausage. Here is a link to a good white gravy recipe: http://www.cookingbytheseatofmypants.com/recipes/restaurant-style-southern-white-gravy/

Hope that helps!