Thursday, February 7, 2008

Banana Bread


This banana bread is not only yummy, but nutritious too. The recipe is from one of my most loved cookbooks, The New Laurel's Kitchen. From the state of this particular page, it's obvious that I've made it many times over the years. :)

3 very ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup oil or butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ
(1 cup chopped dates)
(1 cup toasted nuts)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mash bananas and mix them with lemon juice until smooth. Cream butter or oil and sugar together and add the banana mixture, stirring well.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix in wheat germ. Add to the banana mix and stire in dates and nuts if desired.

The dough will be very stiff. Turn it into a greased 4" x 8" loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a knife into the loaf: if it comes out clean, the bread is done.

Makes 1 loaf.
(You can also bake banana bread in an 8" x 8" pan, or make 12 muffins. Bake these for about 1/2 hour.)

3 comments:

Dianna said...

I have Blue Willow, too. :)

50s Housewife said...

My Blue Willow dishes are my all time favorites. I hope to someday have the teapot to match.

Mrs Tailleur said...

I love blue willow. I have it every where in the cabinets , hanging on the walls. Old stuff new stuff. Even both my mother and my husband's Mother gave me blue willow. LoL . They were even the first dishes, I had in college. Even if I get rid of some more come back to me .I think They know their home.