Friday, April 25, 2008

One of My Favorite Cookbooks


This is one of my very favorite cookbooks (click picture to see a larger view). I bought it years ago at a garage sale. I think I paid 25 cents for it. It was put together by a family using one of those self publishing companies. Most of the recipes are intended for large families and I used them quite often when all five of my kids were still at home.

Here's one that I plan to try when we start harvesting our tomato crop (updates on the garden coming soon).

Best Big Batch Tomato Sauce
1/4 c. salad oil
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium green peppers, diced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
12 lbs tomatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. salt
2 tsp. oregano leaves
1 1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 (12 oz.) can tomato paste

In 8 quart Dutch oven over medium heat, in hot salad oil, cook onions, carrots, green peppers and garlic until tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Over high heat, heat to boiling. reduce heat to medium low; partially cover Dutch oven and cook 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Makes 9 pints.
Each pint is enough to serve over 1 (8 oz.) package spaghetti, cooked. Or use sauce over Swiss steak, pizza or lasagna.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

What a beautiful book - you lucky girl finding such a treasure! I hope you share more recipes.

Stacy said...

That sounds like its a pretty special book =) I need to learn to make my own sauce one day when i have my own garden =D Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! Sounds tasty! Looks like a fab book too!

Love, Tina :)