Saturday, July 5, 2008

Ice Cream Cake



We had this ice cream cake after supper last night. I made it the night before and put in the freezer. The 4th of July is always a busy day for us because we go to the parade and street fair in the morning, then the fireworks after dark. It was nice to have such an easy dessert to go with our cookout, plus it was delicious. This would be a great birthday cake for summer birthdays.

I found the recipe at Real Simple.

Ice Cream Cake:
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
6 ice cream sandwiches (3.5 ounces each)
2 1.5 ounce candy bars or 1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped (I used Reese's Cups).

Line an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with a piece of wax paper or parchment, allowing the paper to hang over both long sides.

In a large bowl, beat the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.

In the bottom of the pan, arrange 3 of the sandwiches in a single layer, cutting them to fit as necessary. Spread with half the whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches and whipped cream.

Sprinkle the top of the cake with the chopped candy bar. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least one hour and up to one week.

Holding both sides of the paper overhang, lift the cake out of the pan and transfer to a platter. Discard the paper, slice the cake, and serve.

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Sounds delicious!

~~Deby said...

oh does this look gooooood..
Deby

Terri said...

Wow! That looks delicious. I'm glad you didn't come to my barbecue or I would of blown the diet for sure! lol

Terri

Liisa said...

I have been reading your blog and I am always really encouraged. Thank you!

Blessings,
Liisa

Dawn said...

Yum yum!!! I will have to make this once all my kitchen stuff arrives...it's too easy!

Thanks for sharing dear one!!

Hope your week is going good for you.

Dawn

50s Housewife said...

Tracy, thank you! It WAS delicious. :)

Deby, my kids had a fit over it. I'm sure this won't be the last time I make this cake.

Teri, I've just given up on my diet. Maybe one of these days...

Liisa, thank you! How sweet!

Dawn, thank you! I AM having a good week. I hope you are as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm.. this look amazing!!! I could sit with a fork and dig in!! LOL!!!

Angela said...

I CAN get Real Simple here in the UK, and saw the Ice Cream Cake - but we CANNOT get ice cream sandwiches over here in the midlands of England. I would SO love to be able to make one of these - please enjoy yours and think of me! blessings, Angela

50s Housewife said...

Angela, you poor thing! :) I will now think of you every time I make that cake.

Anonymous said...

you can make ice cream sandwiches, there are several recipes on the net