Thursday, August 19, 2010

Avoid Decorating Depression!

Tony Shalhoub's Country Cottage via Country Living
Do you watch decorating and DIY shows and read decorating and DIY blogs? I love these types of shows and blogs and have found heaps of inspiration and ideas. It's fun to plan projects, search for bargains and pick out paint chips.  The sense of accomplishment I feel when I completely change the look of a room with a gallon of paint or a few yards of fabric is marvelous.

There are days, however, when instead of feeling inspired, I feel intimidated and dissatisfied.  I don't have granite countertops or gorgeous hardwood floors.  My appliances are not the latest models, and my light fixtures are builder bland.  I'm sure a TV decorator could point out all sorts of things that would need to be re-done if we wanted to sell our house. 

So what do I do when the discontent begins?  The first thing is to step away from the computer and the TV.    Then I remind myself that a real family with a real (i.e. almost non-existent) decorating budget lives here.  Meals are prepared here, homework is done, bathtimes and bedtimes and ordinary routines go on day after day.  It's not carefully staged for TV or a magazine.  Toys and books get pushed under the bed, and there are crumbs under the couch cushions.

What I really want guests to notice when they come to my home is not how fabulous the decor is, but how comfortable and welcome they feel so I do my best to make sure that happens.  I make sure that my house is relatively clean (notice I didn't say sanitary and perfect - that's not going to happen in a house with children and pets) and that the horizontal surfaces are somewhat free of clutter.  I also make myself feel better about my house by re-arranging.  Sometimes I move the furniture around and other times all it takes is changing the mantel arrangement.

Make your home beautiful to you and don't worry about what is all the rage on HGTV. 

"That house was a perfect house, whether you like
food or sleep, or storytelling, or singing, or just
sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of
them all.  Merely to be there was a cure for
weariness, fear and sadness. "
J.R.R. Tolkien