Monday, March 9, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - more frugal ideas

Photobucket My menu is all planned and I'm about to head out the door to do my grocery shopping. I'm planning to keep you all updated with how much I spend on my frugal menus. I love when bloggers are specific when they talk about saving money and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. :) Last month I spent $858 on groceries (including toiletries and dog food). That probably seems like a lot to some of you, but I don't have an Aldi's here, or a store that doubles coupons. I felt like I was doing pretty well.

This month however (especially now that Greg is gone and I am feeding 5 people rather than 6) I plan to cut that in half. Mike isn't getting the overtime he used to and the grocery budget is definitely an area where I can cut back. So far, I am right on target. I spent a total of $77.34 on last week's menu.

So without further ado, here are this weeks frugal menu picks:

Suppers
Poor Man's Meal (yes, we had this last week too, but everyone loved it and I don't think they will mind having it again).
Roast, potatoes and carrots
Baked potatoes with taco meat, cheese and corn
Grilled burgers and oven fries
Pasta with Italian Meat Sauce, garlic bread
Chicken Quesadillas
Taco Salad

Lunches
School lunches and leftovers
Lentil Soup with Dumplings
Sandwiches
Chicken Noodle Soup
Homemade pizza

Breakfasts
Cereal
Pancakes
Eggs, bacon and biscuits (Mike's favorite breakfast)
Baked oatmeal
Monkey bread

Snacks
Chips and homemade salsa
Pumpkin Bread
Carrot sticks with ranch dressing
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies
Coffee House Scones


Find lots more menus at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

4 comments:

gigi said...

I think it is wonderful that you do such a good job at menu planning! That's the only way to do things when you have a big family. Good and happy Monday!

gigi said...

I think it is wonderful that you do such a good job at menu planning! That's the only way to do things when you have a big family. Good and happy Monday!

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my give-away! I'm so glad you found me because now I found yours too! what a great blog you have and it's filled with such inspiration and pretties!! I will be back often!

Thanks and Hugs, Cynthia

Angela said...

Last week while I was on the floor with an 8 month old, a 20 month old, 26 month old and a three year old, while hubby sat in a chair,lol. We discussed menu planning. Together, hubby and I figured out a months worth of menus. Two weeks are the same, so I rotate them between the other two we came up with.

I spend about a total of 800 dollars a month (that includes cleaning, bathroom, and odds and ends) This also includes the daycare children. A total of 13 people. (daycare five days a wk, with two snacks, breakfasts and hot lunches included)...I LOVE being frugal, and blessing my family with yummy meals that don't cost alot....Thanks for all your tips and sharing your menu's with us.