Monday, March 2, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - Cheap and Frugal Edition

Photobucket
I am trying to cut WAY back on my grocery spending, so this week (and every week from now on) my menu plan focuses on frugal recipes.

As usual, I'm not planning meals for specific days. I usually decide the night before or in the morning what we'll have for supper on a particular day.

Suppers
Poor Man's Meal: I've been making this particular recipe for years with polish sausage. I had no idea it was a depression era recipe and I just called it fried potatoes and sausage).

Beef Macaroni, green salad: this is a recipe I got years ago from my grandmother. It's very quick and there's not much to it. I'll try and post the recipe soon.

Homemade Pizza

Chicken and Rice casserole, fruit and 30 minute rolls: Whole chickens are on sale here for 59 cents a pound. It so easy to boil one and pick the meat off for using in a casserole and then you'll have homemade broth too.

Spaghetti and garlic bread

Beans and cornbread: It's a good idea when making a frugal menu plan to have at least one meatless supper. If I have any leftover beans I can use them next week for bean burritos.

Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, green beans and homemade rolls: Leftovers make great sandwiches the next day.

Breakfasts
banana chocolate chip muffins

bacon, eggs, and biscuits

steel cut oats in the crockpot

pancakes

cereal

Lunches
school lunches and leftovers

tuna casserole, mixed vegetables

chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, fruit

Snacks
brownies

homemade bread

cinnamon toast (made with homemade bread)

homemade salsa and chips

banana bread

Be sure and head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie to see hundreds more menus.

13 comments:

Marisa Le'rin Salas said...

what a wonderful way to plan meals and be so organized, I live for organization!!

tami said...

boy your snacks look exactly like mine!!

Armchair Housewife said...

I pretty much only cook whole chickens now, I think it's a great tip to use them. We buy mostly organic animal products (they are the only thing we really try to buy organic)which are outrageously expensive (your chicken was .59/lb, mine was about 5.00/lb), so cooking and using every last bit of the chicken is the only way I go. I also use a lot of stewing beef and extra-lean ground beef, as these are cheaper than chicken and other beef cuts, and they are pretty healthy and versatile, too.

Buying organic meat means that we definitely don't eat it every night, but what I like about cooking the chickens whole is that, as you said, you get some great homemade broth, and I find this broth can go a long way into making otherwise meatless meals more flavorful and interesting. Making a minestrone, for instance, with the chicken broth, or cooking beans in chicken broth, just gives it a better flavor and you don't miss the meat as much.

Thanks for sharing your recipes with us, and blessings on your frugal endeavor. :)

-Nicole

momstheword said...

Your menu looks yummy! We always called it fried potatoes and sausage too. Who knew, lol! We are needing to be more frugal too so I try to have at least one or two meatless meal a week.

Erin said...

Oh my goodness, that video was amazing...I want to watch all of Clara's videos. I'm humbled and inspired...That was so terrific...

Gretchen said...

Yummy meals even if they are frugal and cheap.

Melonie said...

You've won the Excellence in Blogcasting Award. Please swing by and pick up your button. Feel free to pass it along if you like; if not, just post it on your blog for your readers to see you've gotten the recognition you deserve. :-)

http://familyprep.blogspot.com/2009/03/excellence-in-blogcasting-award.html

Leila said...

When for one reason or another money is tight it's so good to have some really thrifty menus you can fall back on.

The funny thing is -- these become the kids' favorites! Just like Clara says in the video :)

Good work on your menus!

Terri said...

Everything sounds yummy!

Jen said...

I'm making homemade bread next week on my menu plan too...we love it. Your menu sounds great. I have never made the poor mans meal....

karen m said...

Mmmm, beans and cornbread, one of our favorites. I serve it with coleslaw, which is such a cheap side dish, it makes this such a good meal. Love your blog!

Lynda said...

Cheap and thrifty is the way to go!
Nothings better than these homemade meals!
I found out about steelcut oats cooked in the crocpot, from your blog. Many thanks!

Sandy said...

I love "cheap and frugal edition!"