Thursday, March 12, 2009

Don't Forget

Housewife and Mother Barbara Barkin, Washing Dishes in Her Bright New Kitchen in Built Mobile Home by Ed Clark
Bright New Kitchen

As you carefully manage your home and keep track of each penny don't forget two things.

1. Give to others. Even if you don't have any money to give to charity, you can take some cookies to your next door neighbor, donate your extra CVS toothpaste to your local homeless shelter or offer to babysit for your overwhelmed friend so she can grocery shop alone. Don't get so focused on your own economic problems that you forget about others. I've found that when I do something for someone else, I feel more able to focus on the positive and count my blessings.

2. Have fun! There are so many ways to have fun for free. I also set aside a few dollars each week for a treat. My favorite little treat is a happy hour Diet Coke from Sonic and I don't feel one bit guilty about it. :) It's easier to stick to my budget that way.

10 comments:

Stacie said...

I only recently found your blog through the Vintage Housekeepers Club. And I am in love with it!!

Your blog has quickly become one of my favorites!

Marisa Le'rin Salas said...

I Love the picture and the great self information!!
Have I told you lately how much I love your blog?!

50s Housewife said...

Awww! Thank you ladies! How sweet!

Marie said...

Happy Hour diet Coke! I love it!

gigi said...

Doing something for others is the best way to get out of a bad mood. It always makes me feel better. And isn't it a blessing to be an instrument in God's hands to bring about his work!

Susan said...

2 things of many that mom's need to do!

Garnetrose said...

these are all things we can do even if we do not have the money in these difficult financial times.

Kimberly said...

As my food budget has shrunk,and prices at the grocery store continue to rise each week, I am constantly on the lookout for nutritious and inexpensive recipes to feed my very large family.

Thanks for the ideas, it helps to know I am not alone in these challenges.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love the photo, and so glad to catch up with you on your blog--my computer had a run in with a glass of water last week, and I just got a new one. :) I've been itching to get back to writing and reading the blog!!!

Jen said...

Great tips to remember and go by.