Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Observing Lent

Listening to the Lord by Dean Mitchell
Listening to the Lord

But it is too easy and promotes too cheap a grace to focus only on the high points of Palm Sunday and Easter without walking with Jesus through the darkness of Good Friday, a journey that begins on Ash Wednesday. Lent is a way to place ourselves before God humbled, bringing in our hands no price whereby we can ourselves purchase our salvation. It is a way to confess our total inadequacy before God, to strip ourselves bare of all pretenses to righteousness, to come before God in dust and ashes. It is a way to empty ourselves of our false pride, of our rationalizations that prevent us from seeing ourselves as needy creatures, of our "perfectionist" tendencies that blind us to the beam in our own eye

Quoted from The Season of Lent

Our church does not formally observe Lent, but it is something I carry over from the church of my childhood. Resurrection Sunday is not as joyful and significant for me if I haven't been through the somber and serious prayer and reflection of Lent.

This year we are going to use the Lenten Lights devotionals from John Piper's Desiring God website. Seven candles are lit during the first Sunday in Lent and during the Bible reading, one candle is snuffed out (not to be lit again until Easter). This continues with the final candle being blown out on Good Friday. The candles are all lit together on Easter.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14


10 comments:

gigi said...

Amen, thank you.

Sandy said...

thank you for this post. we do observe lent (and at our church).

beautiful! ilove that you carry it over from your childhood.

C. C. said...

I sure would appreciate you sending over some of your bread! I may just have to make some now...it looks so good.

C. C.

momstheword said...

We do not observe Lent but I remember some of my friends from my childhood did.

Angela said...

Yes, for us Catholic's, today marks the first day of Lent, Ash Wednesday. Thank you so much for sharing these links. I have already gone and checked them out..((hugs)) Blessings precious sister.

Kari said...

This has been a topic of conversation in my circle of friends lately.

Our church does observe Lent. I love the idea of observing Lent, especially sacrificing something that may have more of a hold on me than it should. A minuscule sacrifice I can make to show my gratitude for His sacrifice!

Thank you for sharing this!

Kari

Angela said...

I hope you don't mind, but I would love to use part of your post for my devotional...

Angela said...

I shared your link on my devotional.!!

Tracey said...

I love your post about Lent. My sister and I were just talking about this. I grew up catholic and became a born=again christian later in life, but I love doing the stations of the Cross at the Catholic church.. so I'm going to do them.. it's just a rememberance of what Christ did by carrying that cross and giving up his life blood for us.

Tina ♥ said...

I'm taking part in Lent for the first time this year. It really is a blessed time of reflection and thankfulness. Great post, thanks. :)