Monday, February 2, 2009

Make Do Monday: Decorating


I am thrilled to once again be participating in Ann Kroeker's fun blog carnival Make Do Mondays "dedicated to sharing the creative, frugal or even humble ways we’re making-do.".

I love to decorate and putter around my house, but everything I do has to be done on a budget (a very small budget). I don't have a window in my laundry room, and it was dark and unwelcoming. I wanted it to be cute and bright. After all, I spend a lot of time there and we enter the house through the laundry room almost every day coming in from the garage.

I decided to put to use things I already had. I had some old picture frames and some brightly colored craft paint (I never throw away paint after a project; I can always figure out something to do with it). I also used art that I already had. I found a favorite piece of artwork done by each of my children to frame. It was so fun to go through all the things I had saved over the years, especially since my oldest 2 are now grown.

I painted the frames and also painted bright squiggles and circles on the walls. They will be easy enough to paint over someday when I want to change things and they really made my laundry room much more pleasant.

By the way, in case you are wondering why my detergent and bleach aren't in the cabinet above the dryer, it's because the cabinet is too full of leftover paint, craft supplies, and socks with no match. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is that a picture of and which kid drew it? lol
RetroHousewife

momstheword said...

I like it! I am needing to redo the bathroom and the laundry room as well. It's always so hard to come up with a theme. I love yours because it's fun and perky!

Ann Kroeker said...

That's a great idea to keep all your old paints and find new applications--you know how to make-do at a practical level! Thanks for participating! You've inspired me to put a little color in the laundry room (mine also is windowless).

Tracey said...

I love this idea.. I did this with my kids in my kitchen...I love the fact that kids are so crative and the art is so colorful and fun.. great post!!

Debo said...

Cute and inspiring! So at what point does a person just throw-out the no match socks? That's what I want to know! Thanks for sharing your "new" laundry room with us.

Armchair Housewife said...

Fantastic! It looks lovely and this meme is looking more and more like my kinda thing... hmm... :)

Blessings!

Terri said...

It's so cute. I love it!

Kim said...

Love it!! It is very "cheery"....does it make you want to do more wash?? LOL

Small House said...

What a happy laundry room. Cute idea-LOVE IT!

I like the idea of a make do monday. I'll be back for more make do ideas.
Have a good day.

Erin said...

I love adding color like that. My laundry share two features with yours: no windows and the front-load washer with the non-matching dryer...don't you wish you could just have the entire surface be one level? I'm definitely inspired to try something new in my laundry room. Thanks for the ideas.

Jen said...

I love that idea!! I'm going to work on that this week. Thank you for sharing.