Thursday, February 5, 2009

The James Challenge


Several of my favorite bloggers have been blogging about memorizing scripture lately. My husband has been memorizing scripture too and it seems that everywhere I turn I'm reading or hearing about the benefits of hiding His word in our hearts. OK God, I'm a little slow, but I'm listening now. :)

I've decided to join with Sara in the James Challenge. She is making it her goal (and I am following along) to memorize the entire book of James in 2009. She even has a Yahoo group set up to help with accountability.

I'm nervous about this and I feel like I'm standing at the bottom of a huge mountain I'm about to climb, but I know that with LOTS of prayer and plain ol' hard work I can do it.

If you are also participating in The James Challenge, I would love to hear from you and I would be thrilled if you would pray for me as I embark on this journey. I'll keep you updated with my progress as the year goes along.

Here's what I've done so far:
I got out my 10 year old copy of Warren Wiersbe's Be Mature and I've read the first chapter. I hand wrote James 1:1-4 on a note card and I've been carrying the card around with me, reading it and saying it aloud. It helps me to remember things when I write them out. I also listened to the first chapter of James. I need all the help I can get so I figure I should make use of all the ways of learning possible.

Suggestions for memorizing
Calculating the Art of Memorizing
“I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture. . . .
No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends! Your prayer life will be strengthened. Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective. Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change. Your mind will become alert and observant.
Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced.
Your faith will be solidified.”
- Chuck Swindoll


9 comments:

klutzymama said...

You can do it! Good luck!

Morgan said...

How exciting! My husband's grandpa used to have books of the Bible memorized, so it's definantly possible and achievable!

I really like Waren Wiersbe! I have his "Be" books, but they are packed away right now while we're trying to sell our house :( I learned a lot going through those!

Also, very cool that there's only 1 of you- 2 of my children are the only ones with their name in the U.S., as well as one of my neices and my sister-in-law. Our family is good at picking out uncommon names!

Armchair Housewife said...

THanks for the link to the memorizations helps. I am doing the LPM blog 1st and 15 scripture challenge and am loving it. Blessings on your endevour in james!

Kim said...

you can do it...I'll pray for you. Good luck! Remember God gives us what we need when we need it, so this must be what you are needing..remembering that always helps me to try to do what the Lord is calling me to do...maybe that will help you too :)

Terri said...

You can do it! I memorized the entire book of James in high school and it's still one of my favorite books of the Bible today.

Gretchen said...

A group of ladies from my church are memorizing also. We are using the Navigators Topical Memory System. I think after I am done with that I may start on an actual book. We have a very good Sunday school teacher who is constantly testing us and challenging us to know more Scripture. I think it is exciting that you are memorizing all of James!

Aimie said...

I am trying to memorize verses right there along with you. It has been quite a while since I had to memorize anything word for word and it is kicking my backside a little. Hey, we are Moms though, we can do ANYTHING!

right? :)

Good luck with your verse.

Jeanneoli said...

I am so encouraged by this undertaking. I feel like my brain doesn't work like it used to!!!:-) I try to memorize scripture and have index cards that I carry with me or have on my desk. A whole book of the Bible...that would be amazing.

amyletinsky said...

best of luck on the endeavor! I did the same thing last year, and while I didn't make it through the whole book, I'm very glad that I made the effort. I chronicle my journey through memorizing James in these posts:

http://amyletinsky.wordpress.com/category/memorizing-scripture/

flashcards are a good way to go. I also recorded myself reading the book and would play it back to myself. That helped a lot too.